Yuri is a Tokyo-born, New York-based artist whose artistic career spans decades inspired by the two worlds, while seamlessly blending her fine art and illustration practices. Her work is also informed by more than twenty years of study in Noh and Kabuki theatrical dance, as well as years living among many different cultures throughout the world. She is the last descendant of her samurai lineage and her unique story was published as a memoir in 1997.
You know her from:
- The touching solo exhibition at Kyoto’s Honen-In Temple.
- The recent solo exhibition at Playmountain EAST (San Francisco).
- This short biographical film.
- Her memoir, a cult-favorite in Japanese.
- The beautiful artworks shared on her Instagram.